Skip to main content

What I'm reading

I'm sitting in my new home office right now, enjoying the sound of Hillsong playing on my Ipod, and the not too distant bark of Zac, our neighbor's (ugly) dog. And wait, I think I hear some work being done on the house behind me, a car zipping by, and a pesky bee that won't leave me alone.

Yes, I am sitting in our courtyard. I have reclaimed it as my sanctuary, my haven, my place to be alone with my thoughts, a cup of coffe, and Jesus.

Speaking of our Saviour and Best Friend, here's what He's teaching me this morning.

James 3:13-18
"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and every evil practice. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."

These verses are right in sync with what the Lord has been doing in my heart the past couple days. (You gotta love that Holy Spirit and the consistent way He works!) For me, these verses are about a heart of repentance and grace. Who of us hasn't had bitter envy and selfish ambition in our hearts at some point - and watched it ruin relationships? It can be a painful process to come to a point of repentance, because it involves humility and admitting when you are wrong. But if the whole point of this relationship is more of Jesus, then I no longer want to be right. Does that make sense?

When we are full of envy and selfish ambition, we are only thinking about ourselves. How sorry we feel for ourselves and how unhappy we feel towards others who we see as more successful or more pretty or more happy or more whatever. And when we're thinking so much about ourselves, we aren't focused on Jesus and Who He is and how He feels about us.

Thankfully, after our eyes have been opened to our sinful thoughts and motives (once again, thank You Holy Spirit), and we once again acknowledge Him as all we need and not ourselves, I think it is simple to follow the next step and ask for forgiveness, which He is so overwhelmingly willing to give! That's when we receive the wisdom that is from Heaven.

And that's the wisdom I want.

Comments

Vanessa said…
Thank you for sharing what God is teaching you. I was actually just thinking this week about starting something like this on my blog - a place to share what we are each learning, and see/learn from what others are learning. Wasn't too sure about the idea, then I checked your blog and you are already sharing! I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...