Skip to main content

A little tough to swallow

This morning, I casually flipped open my Bible, paying more attention to the smoothie in my hands than the pages I was turning. But my eyes landed on a chapter in Psalms that led me to some great verses in James. It was actually the commentary at the bottom of the page that led me to James, and funny enough, I just realized I was looking at the wrong commentary for the verses I was reading. I guess the Lord has something to tell me despite my half-hearted attention.

The verses in Psalms 15 (the ones I didn't actually read) are about the power of our words. This sentence is what caught my attention "Perhaps nothing so identifies Christians as their ability to control their speech - speaking the truth, refusing to slander, and keeping promises."

Totally fits in with the message of Holiness that the Lord has been pressing on me.

This challenging sentence led me back to verses I read yesterday in James 3 regarding the tongue. Here's what caught my eye, "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." (vs. 5b)

I can't help but wonder if my words, spouted off in a careless, fleshy moment, have actually sparked a fire. Done much more damage than I ever intended or imagined. I hope and pray that is not the case, but I can not be so proud as to think that I have been perfect in this area.

This is such an integrity issue - an issue of the heart, really. Words spoken in public, words spoken in private, all reflect the nature and condition of our hearts. And ultimately our words - holy or not - portray to the world who Jesus is. Such a convicting message to my heart this morning.

Do people see/hear/know Jesus by the words I say? Or are they simply distracted/hurt/confused by the sin in my heart?

I want so desperately to finish this post with a message of hope as to tie it all up like a pretty package.

But I can't. Oh, I'm not hopeless; quite the opposite in fact. I just want to spend a little more time feeling uncomfortable as I chew on the Truth today. I am naturally way too quick to get myself out of uncomfortable situations.

I am curious to hear your thoughts. Do you think your words effect the people around you? In a good or bad way? How can we change?

Comments

Vanessa said…
Sara, this is an excellent post. Gives me lots to think on today. Thank you for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...