So this was our romantic Surf and Turf dinner: pan seared Salmon, garlic bread, steak, sauteed green beans with garlic, and potatoes gratin. (We ain't scared of garlic!) I very loosely based the menu on this . I love watching Food Network chefs and shows; I try to catch at least one show a day. But the funny thing is, I don't cook the recipes very often. I am much more of the get an idea and figure-it-out-myself kind of girl. My favorite chefs/shows to watch are Ultimate Recipe Showdown, Chopped, Diners Drive-ins and Dives, Giada at Home, and Guy's Big Bite. I didn't realize it until now, but I'm really like reality food tv. Top Chef is still my top reality food tv show. I have learned so much (useless) information watching 5 seasons!
I was talking a friend the other day about the connection between food and stress. Specifically the way stress causes me to quit cooking all together. When I've had an emotional, challenging or hormonal day, my ability to produce an edible dinner for my family is killed. Maybe edible is the wrong word, because on those days, I don't attempt to cook at all. For example, last night we dined on the $4.99 carry-out special from Papa Johns because emotionally I was in no place to cook. This phenomenon has been a bit of a challenge for Matt to grasp. Not that I blame him, because there are some days when I don't understand myself. Okay, a lot of days. We women are complex creatures. I'm sure there are women out there who are drawn to the kitchen when stress or emotions is mounting; the kitchen is a haven, a place of peace. I went through a phase like that; I made chocolate chips cookies every week - an activity that was quite enjoyable. But I think I enjoyed the eating more than the baking.

Comments