Well apparently I did something right today, because Lucas is taking a nap as I type! I was so encouraged by Molly's reminder that sometimes it takes 2-3 introductions of a new thing before a child accepts it (remember baby food?).
I used the timer method (play alone in room for an allotted time than nap) for the past couple days, but today I increased the time to 30 minutes. Once the bell rang, Lucas put his toys in the hallway (one of my rules), went potty, than got in bed. That's when I decided to be sneaky and make sure that boy fell asleep! At Matt's advice, I put a chair outside of Lucas's room. As soon as I heard him talking, I opened the door and told him to be quiet. Three reminders later (or 5 minutes) Lucas is asleep! Hooray! I think the key is to make him lay down and be still so the sleep can take over. I know he's tired; his cranky demeanor lets everyone know he's tired, but I think he's been having too much fun to fall asleep!
I'm going to do this again tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that until it finally clicks with Lucas that yes, he does have to sleep during naptime!
Hooray for small (and sometimes monumental) victories!
Of course, the first day I get Lucas to nap in over 2 weeks, Ava cuts her afternoon nap short!
I used the timer method (play alone in room for an allotted time than nap) for the past couple days, but today I increased the time to 30 minutes. Once the bell rang, Lucas put his toys in the hallway (one of my rules), went potty, than got in bed. That's when I decided to be sneaky and make sure that boy fell asleep! At Matt's advice, I put a chair outside of Lucas's room. As soon as I heard him talking, I opened the door and told him to be quiet. Three reminders later (or 5 minutes) Lucas is asleep! Hooray! I think the key is to make him lay down and be still so the sleep can take over. I know he's tired; his cranky demeanor lets everyone know he's tired, but I think he's been having too much fun to fall asleep!
I'm going to do this again tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that until it finally clicks with Lucas that yes, he does have to sleep during naptime!
Hooray for small (and sometimes monumental) victories!
Of course, the first day I get Lucas to nap in over 2 weeks, Ava cuts her afternoon nap short!
Comments