I am so not a morning person. There is no one in my life who would argue that point with me. I have been "slow to rise" ever since I can remember. I would much rather stay up late and sleep in, than be smart and go to bed early. Besides, if I go to bed by 10, I would miss Private Practice and Brothers and Sisters, two of my favorite shows.
This mindset got me into a lot of tiffs with my sister, Melanie, during our high school days. Mel is the opposite of me; she's not only a morning person, she's rather chipper about it. I blame our mother for that (love you Mom!); she woke us up most mornings with a song. Since my school was too small to have a bus system, Mom or Melanie would take me to school in the mornings. By the time we rolled out the door, I will still a grumpy gus. (That's what we call it in our G-rated home.) It was like the rain cloud over my head conflicted with the blue skies around me.
I remember one particular morning, it was Melanie's senior year, I believe. She had recently returned from a trip to NYC with her school and brought back the soundtrack to several Broadway plays they had seen. As she was singing along to Chicago, I was getting grouchier by the minute. I finally turned the stereo off in the middle of a rousing rendition of "All That Jazz!" Melanie was not amused.
I got lucky with Lucas. Once he got on a good routine, he started sleeping 12 hours at night. So even though I had a 3 month old, I got to sleep in until 10 every morning! It was glorious! As time when on, Lucas started waking up earlier and now he wakes up at 7:20. He's a lot like me in the mornings; wants his space, kind of grouchy, needs time to wake up. But Ava, sweet adorable Ava is just like her Aunt Melanie was in high school. Ava wakes up with a song, I mean a shriek, on her lips! This little girl is so excited to start her day, she is bouncing all over the crib, legs flailing, body rolling. I just don't know what to do with her.
This mindset got me into a lot of tiffs with my sister, Melanie, during our high school days. Mel is the opposite of me; she's not only a morning person, she's rather chipper about it. I blame our mother for that (love you Mom!); she woke us up most mornings with a song. Since my school was too small to have a bus system, Mom or Melanie would take me to school in the mornings. By the time we rolled out the door, I will still a grumpy gus. (That's what we call it in our G-rated home.) It was like the rain cloud over my head conflicted with the blue skies around me.
I remember one particular morning, it was Melanie's senior year, I believe. She had recently returned from a trip to NYC with her school and brought back the soundtrack to several Broadway plays they had seen. As she was singing along to Chicago, I was getting grouchier by the minute. I finally turned the stereo off in the middle of a rousing rendition of "All That Jazz!" Melanie was not amused.
I got lucky with Lucas. Once he got on a good routine, he started sleeping 12 hours at night. So even though I had a 3 month old, I got to sleep in until 10 every morning! It was glorious! As time when on, Lucas started waking up earlier and now he wakes up at 7:20. He's a lot like me in the mornings; wants his space, kind of grouchy, needs time to wake up. But Ava, sweet adorable Ava is just like her Aunt Melanie was in high school. Ava wakes up with a song, I mean a shriek, on her lips! This little girl is so excited to start her day, she is bouncing all over the crib, legs flailing, body rolling. I just don't know what to do with her.
Comments