Skip to main content

Put this in your piggy bank

I'm so happy to say that school is back in session. For all of you moms of preschoolers, you know how I feel! Lucas has missed his friends and missed the routine offered by going to school every Tuesday and Thursday mornings. So today while Lucas was busy catching up with friends, learning songs about cars and eating snack, I went to the mall with Kathryn and Ava to return a few items and hit some sales.

I just love the after Christmas sales. I know that I'm a few days late or maybe even a week late, but the stores are just as desperate now as ever to move merchandise and I was happy to oblige with my gift cards. Kohls had some great prices including clearance 60-80% off! I found a couple things for Ava at amazing prices! My hands are now berry sweet, compliments of soap at Bath and Body Works that cost me $2.50!!

So while we were leaving the mall, a sweet older man, probably in his 80s, stopped to talk to Ava. I've gotten used to the attention my kids get when we go out. Most everyone loves babies, and I love that my kids can brighten someone's day with a drool-filled smile or a quick wave. So this man begins asking Ava the usual questions, such as "what's your name? and how old are you?", which I of course answer, since she's only 5 months old and can't talk. It was really sweet. But he did throw me off by asking if she was a boy or girl. I get it that she doesn't have any hair, but the girl was decked out in pink from head to toe! Anyway, when I answered that Ava was out shopping to the question "what are you doing today?", this kind old man pulled out his change wallet and started fishing around. I didn't know what he was doing, but he searched around and pulled out a dime saying "Maybe I can help; take this home and put it in your piggy bank!".

How precious! Ava kept on looking at him with her big baby blues while I said thanks. Kathryn and I left talking about that man and now I can't get him off of my mind. First, what a kind and thoughtful man. How often do I pass people by and not even look them in the eye because I am so consumed with myself. But he stopped and engaged us in conversation. Not in a weird, uncomfortable way, but in a I can't help but talk to you and bless you kind of way. I don't know this man, I don't even know his name, but I have to wonder if he has grand (or maybe great-grand) children that he gets to spend time with, or wishes that he does.

I know that we are in the winter months, aka "flu season", so you have to be careful with your kids, but I also know that there are a lot of elderly people who haven't held or even cooed at a baby in a long time. My children have the ability to turn my mood around with an infectious giggle or a well-placed hug, so I'm happy to share that with strangers. Children, in all of their innocence and joy, manifest a part of God that we adults too often miss. For a brief second, their smiles can light up a room and maybe even a darkened heart.

Comments

Vanessa said…
What a sweet man and great insight on your part as well. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...