After 5 years of cooking for Matt, I've figured my way around the kitchen. I've always liked cooking, especially baking. Growing up I was often beside my Mom, learning from her and gaining confidence in the kitchen. My favorite thing to make has always been cookies. In high school, I started baking every Saturday to take cookies to youth group Sunday night. (I totally had a crush on our youth leader. haha He was a local college student and fond of my cookies.) My ridiculous attempts didn't work (he never asked me out) and in retrospect, I'm so glad!
One thing I've never enjoyed doing is replicating a family recipe. Yes, I love the classics, food that I grew up on. But it nevers seems to taste exactly the same as Momma's! A couple weeks ago, I attempted Matt's grandmother's famous caramel icing. After 45 minutes of standing over the stove, it turned out like a rock. But the sad thing is, not including the texture, Matt still said it didn't taste the same. (Don't worry, I didn't slap him for that!)
Today I'm attempting another "Alexander Classic" - Nana's vegetable soup. This soup is served on Christmas night and at many family functions throughout the year. I already know that Matt is going to say that it doesn't taste the same, even though I followed the recipe exactly. And it's not his fault; this recipe has been perfected over the years by his wonderful Nana (but the exact measurements were never written down), so I'm not even going to compete with her. We'll just call it "Sara's version of Nana's Veggie Soup!"
One thing I've never enjoyed doing is replicating a family recipe. Yes, I love the classics, food that I grew up on. But it nevers seems to taste exactly the same as Momma's! A couple weeks ago, I attempted Matt's grandmother's famous caramel icing. After 45 minutes of standing over the stove, it turned out like a rock. But the sad thing is, not including the texture, Matt still said it didn't taste the same. (Don't worry, I didn't slap him for that!)
Today I'm attempting another "Alexander Classic" - Nana's vegetable soup. This soup is served on Christmas night and at many family functions throughout the year. I already know that Matt is going to say that it doesn't taste the same, even though I followed the recipe exactly. And it's not his fault; this recipe has been perfected over the years by his wonderful Nana (but the exact measurements were never written down), so I'm not even going to compete with her. We'll just call it "Sara's version of Nana's Veggie Soup!"
Comments