I received my first piece of mail from India today. A picture of the Taj Mahal was on the front with the title "A Poetry in Pure White Marble." My dear friend Kathryn has been serving in India for the past month as the leader of a missions group. Her emails about the people and conditions fascinate me. And make me question if I could spend a month in India or a country like it, not knowing the language and without the comforts I rely on every day. To be honest, I'm not sure that I could. I remember feeling desolate when we were without electricity for 3 days this past December. Shoot, I felt lost a couple weeks ago when our cable was out and the internet was down. No email? The thing is, I've "roughed it" before. I camped out in the woods a few times, pottied in a ditch, gone without a shower for 48 hours, but it was always with the knowledge that I would be returning to my soft bed, warm shower, and cable t.v. shortly. The reality that I don't like to think about very often is that there are countless people in our country and countries alike that don't know where their next meal will come from or where they will spend the night. I'm not trying to be a sappy, guilt-ladden commercial for hungry children here, but I am challenging myself and you to think about reality more often. At the very least, we can change our attitudes of "I deserve this ______" to "Thank you, Jesus for ______" It's just a thought.
Now, I'm going make a call on my cell phone, take a warm shower, and head to the grocery store. How's that for perspective.
Now, I'm going make a call on my cell phone, take a warm shower, and head to the grocery store. How's that for perspective.
Comments