I look like a lobster. At least the front half of me does. The back is still winter-white. I had intentions of baking my backside today, but the overcast weather did not permit that. I am however, currently enjoying the noisy birds outside through my open door. A flock of black birds appears to have taken up residence in our backyard. And I wonder what they are chirping about..... "Move over!" "I claimed this branch first!" "Who's that fat bird weighing down the branch?" "Move it, chubby!" "Who wants to torment some squirrels tonight?" Or something like that......
Today I realized that my days of relaxing while Lucas is awake are over. He is into everything. Or at least he wants to be. This afternoon, Lucas and I took a quick jaunt to the public library to fill my craving for a good novel. I checked out three books, Mary Higgins Clark "Nighttime is my Time", Sue Monk Kidd "The Mermaid Chair", and Nicholas Sparks "At First Sight". I am a novel junkie. I can go without books for a while, but suddenly a craving hits me and I can't put them down. If I'm not careful, I will spend my whole day reading and totally ignoring the piles of laundry and dishes around me. Don't worry -- Lucas is not neglected, just the chores. The books inspired me to take a rare trip to E-City Java for a Spiced Chai Latte. I had visions of snuggling in a cozy chair with the new Sparks book and latte, while Lucas plays quietly in his stoller. HA My active 6 month old very quickly let me know that he did not want to be strapped down, but instead wanted to grab at everything he could from Mommy's lap including her book and hot cup of yum. After ten, rather unpeaceful minutes, I packed up our stuff, put Lucas back into his stroller and headed for the car.
While Lucas was humming in the backseat, I realized while driving home, that I wasn't frustrated about having my plans interrupted. Sure I miss the pre-baby freedom to come and go as I please, but greater then that feeling is the knowledge that I have the awesome privilege of taking care of our son full time. And the feelings that come with that knowledge are deeper and richer then any good book or latte can bring.
8**sidenote*** Every Mom deserves and needs a break. So if you know a Mom, offer to watch her kids so that she can have some downtime. Moms work 24/7. Admitting that you need a break, doesn't mean you love your kids less; it just means that you want to be the best Mommy you can be.
Today I realized that my days of relaxing while Lucas is awake are over. He is into everything. Or at least he wants to be. This afternoon, Lucas and I took a quick jaunt to the public library to fill my craving for a good novel. I checked out three books, Mary Higgins Clark "Nighttime is my Time", Sue Monk Kidd "The Mermaid Chair", and Nicholas Sparks "At First Sight". I am a novel junkie. I can go without books for a while, but suddenly a craving hits me and I can't put them down. If I'm not careful, I will spend my whole day reading and totally ignoring the piles of laundry and dishes around me. Don't worry -- Lucas is not neglected, just the chores. The books inspired me to take a rare trip to E-City Java for a Spiced Chai Latte. I had visions of snuggling in a cozy chair with the new Sparks book and latte, while Lucas plays quietly in his stoller. HA My active 6 month old very quickly let me know that he did not want to be strapped down, but instead wanted to grab at everything he could from Mommy's lap including her book and hot cup of yum. After ten, rather unpeaceful minutes, I packed up our stuff, put Lucas back into his stroller and headed for the car.
While Lucas was humming in the backseat, I realized while driving home, that I wasn't frustrated about having my plans interrupted. Sure I miss the pre-baby freedom to come and go as I please, but greater then that feeling is the knowledge that I have the awesome privilege of taking care of our son full time. And the feelings that come with that knowledge are deeper and richer then any good book or latte can bring.
8**sidenote*** Every Mom deserves and needs a break. So if you know a Mom, offer to watch her kids so that she can have some downtime. Moms work 24/7. Admitting that you need a break, doesn't mean you love your kids less; it just means that you want to be the best Mommy you can be.
Comments
meg
Love you. :)