Skip to main content

A Blast from the Past

I just have to share a couple excerpts from a baby book I came across today from 1969. I've been busy reading several books that came highly recommended such as, "What to Expect When You're Expecting", "Your Pregnancy Week by Week", and "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy." All three have been very helpfully through this amazing journey.

I have really enjoyed leafing through this 1969 book marveling at the differences in information from the "modern" books I've been reading. For example, "The opinion is divided as to whether or not smoking is more hazardous during pregnancy. If you're a heavy smoker, doctors advise that you cut down to a great extent, but you needn't quit entirely, unless your doctor recommends it. Alcohol adds calories without nourishment to your diet, and for other reasons may be harmful. (You think!?!) Ask your doctor whether or not you may drink on occasion."

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this because we all know now how harmful smoking and alcohol are to babies, infact they can be life threatening.

Also, current pregnacy books recommend women to gain between 25 and 30 pounds. Here's what this book had to say about weight gain. "The up-to-date doctor...insists that they (patients) don't gain more than 20 pounds all told. Doctors are usually real sticklers about weight gain, so take his advice seriously or you'll be taking a scolding instead."

I hope you enjoyed these glimpses into the past as much as I did.

love,
Sara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...