serves 6 (4 WW points each)
3 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground chili pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (2 cans)
Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6-7 minutes. (I removed the bacon with a slotted spoon to let it drain on a paper towel. And I removed most of the bacon grease from the pot. Just leave enough to saute your veggies.) Add peppers, onions, garlic and cook till softened. Add the cumin and chili pepper, cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat; let cool about 10 minutes. Pour 4 cups of the soup in a blender and puree. Return pureed soup to the saucepan. Cook about 2 minutes until heated back through.
** I've made this recipe several times, but this time, I followed the advice and pureed about half of the soup. It made such a difference! Just a warning - make sure you do the pureeing in batches - if you overload your blender with hot soup, it will explode all over you, as evidenced by the scars on my right arm.
** As you can see in the photo above, I added some yummy toppings to my soup to make it extra special - shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions. Matt likes to eat this soup with tortilla chips, but I think it is great on it's own!
**I plan on making this soup a lot this fall. Both kids gobbled it up. I think it would be fun to serve this as a dip or a topping for nachos.
Enjoy!
1/4 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground chili pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (2 cans)
Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6-7 minutes. (I removed the bacon with a slotted spoon to let it drain on a paper towel. And I removed most of the bacon grease from the pot. Just leave enough to saute your veggies.) Add peppers, onions, garlic and cook till softened. Add the cumin and chili pepper, cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat; let cool about 10 minutes. Pour 4 cups of the soup in a blender and puree. Return pureed soup to the saucepan. Cook about 2 minutes until heated back through.
** I've made this recipe several times, but this time, I followed the advice and pureed about half of the soup. It made such a difference! Just a warning - make sure you do the pureeing in batches - if you overload your blender with hot soup, it will explode all over you, as evidenced by the scars on my right arm.
** As you can see in the photo above, I added some yummy toppings to my soup to make it extra special - shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions. Matt likes to eat this soup with tortilla chips, but I think it is great on it's own!
**I plan on making this soup a lot this fall. Both kids gobbled it up. I think it would be fun to serve this as a dip or a topping for nachos.
Enjoy!
Comments