Skip to main content
Matt and I stayed up late last night doing what I call a little "vision casting". After watching the two hour premire of the Biggest Loser, Matt and I were full of thoughts, ideas and concerns regarding obesity in America. Specifically in children. And even more specifically, in our children.

As you know by now, Matt and I have really been hitting the gym hard for the past 6 months. We both are determined to get in and stay in great shape. It has not been easy. After the honeymoon phase, during which the weight flew off and each workout felt like a high, I entered into the "holy crap! Am I going to have to work this hard for the rest of my life?" Followed by the "I think I would rather be fat" mindset. Thankfully, I pushed through and now I'm in the "finally seeing positive results and loving the way exercise makes me feel" phase.

So back to the topic of childhood obesity and vision casting. (I apparently got distracted by the over-usuage of quotation marks, sorry.) Matt and I talked for about an hour tossing ideas back and forth about how to raise healthy, active children. Now please understand, I in no way believe that a parent sets out wanting their child to become overweight; in fact, I think it happens from many different reasons that I won't begin to pretend to be an expert on.

But I do have ideas as to how we are going to raise healthy kids. First, I think the number one more imporant thing Matt and I can do for our kids (in this area) is to be healthy and active adults. If going to the gym, playing basketball in the driveway, taking after dinner walks, and eating our veggies is a normal part of our lives, then it will be a normal part of their lives, right?

Second, I think it's important to keep healthy, yummy snacks on hand for a quick fill-up between meals. This includes fruit, yogurt, mozza string cheese, nuts, etc. I didn't learn this important tip until adulthood (like this year!) and I wish I had understood this idea sooner. The truth is, I get hungry every 2-3 hours. Even when I eat high-fiber, high-protein meals, I still find my body in need of a pick-me-up every so often. So healthy, quick snacks are good for me! (Right now, I'm chowing down on celery and peanut butter!)

As a kid, I was a "secret eater". Due to a good metabolism, no one knew my terrible habit of grabbing sugary snacks between meals, until I continued this habit into college life and my hips showed the evidence. Yikes! This is still a struggle for me! On a particularly stressful or emotional day, I find my way to the snack pantry, grabbing a bite here and there until I finally sit down at dinner and wonder why I'm not hungry. Not a good habit.

And finally, because this post is getting rather long, I think it's important to have fun as a family being active. Whatever that looks like for your family. For us, we play outside on the swingset, take walks after dinner, and of course, spend time at the YMCA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...