Skip to main content

Winter Days

Two unique sounds filled our house this morning; the whirl of the bread machine and tiny balls of sleet dancing on our deck. What a great start to the day after a delightful night of sleep. I went to bed with a raging headache last night; the kind that only deep, heavy sleep can heal. Matt, Lucas and I watched parts of the superbowl last night; the commercials were amusing and I think some football was played. I'm not really into big men, running around in tight pants, jumping on top of each other in efforts to catch a ball. Not my thing. But I did enjoy a rather rivoting episode of Grey's Anatomy following the game. Now that was exciting. A bomb inside a body that could explode at any moment. Whoa.

As some of you have noticed, Lucas is five months old now. Wow. Just take a moment to let that sink in. It was only a year ago that I was recovering from a laporatomy and trying to process the fact that I might not be able to have children. A little while ago, I was sitting on the floor reading a book to our little guy, and I was filled with such a strong sense of peace. I'm right where I belong. So many events in my life have led up to this new chapter of giving birth, nurturing and caring for Lucas, teaching and watching "firsts", being a Mom. And the best part of all is that I have a strong, dedicated, kind-hearted, and loving husband who is walking this journey with me. In fact, he's had to carry me through parts of it. I'm just grateful, that's all. I guess the gray weather outside has put me in a reflective mood.

The smell of pumpkin bread is whirling around me reminding me of the baking I have left to do. I hope that you too feel a sense of peace as you go about your day. It has taken me a long time and lots of help to bring me to this place, this sense of being. Thankfully, Someone has been lighting my path the entire way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sara,
You are so right - motherhood is a wonderful gift. I think you are a fabulous mother and it is exciting to see where God has led you...and how He has truly blessed you with Matt & Lucas.
What a great family!! Love you, girl.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...