Skip to main content

Monday Morning

Lucas is sound asleep enjoying his first nap of the day. I love the predictablity of our mornings. His feeding and napping schedule allows me to carefully plan our day. Lucas is still sleeping late into the morning. He has extended his nighttime sleep from 12 hours to 13. His newest trick is finding his paci in the crib and putting it back into his mouth during the night. We have noticed however, that he is waking up a couple times during the night. Either Matt or I will wake up to the sound of his cooing or laughing. A few minutes later, it is silent again. I praise God for a baby that can go back to sleep on his own, but I do wonder if this is "normal" for him to wake up like that during the night. Does that mean he isn't sleeping deeply? I'll have to put that on my list of questions to ask the doctor.

Speaking of the doctor, the excema has cleared up! We treated the rash for a couple days with a prescription which was exactly what he needed. We will go to see Dr. Treash next Thursday for the 6 month check up and shots. I always look forward to our well check visits with great anticipation because I always leave there rejoicing for a happy and healthy baby.

As a new mom, I try hard not to fall into the trap of comparing Lucas to other babies. I will admit, it was hard for me at first to not compare as we are surrounded by friends with small children. I thought I had it down pat, until yesterday at the grocery store, the clerk said something that upset me. After telling her Lucas's age (5 1/2 months) she asked me if he was crawling yet. When I said "No" she then said, "Well he is sitting up on his own, right?". When I said "No" again, she looked at me like there was something wrong with him. I left there a little shaken. I reminded myself when we got home that all of my books and magazines say that some children might be sitting up at 6 months, but not all. And I can see Lucas develop mentally and physically every day. He is reaching for everything, trying his hardest to roll from back to front, and mimicing us. I know that every childs develops at his own rate. I just wish other people would realize that and keep their comments to themselves. And once again I will say, I rejoice for having a happy and healthy baby.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wouldn't sweat whether Lucas can sit up alone or not. You're right, every baby develops at their own rate. Why rush "growing up," when we should cherish every moment of their childhood. My little brother is three, and he still isn't fully potty trained. Nor does he talk as fluently as the other babies his age. But who cares? I can see he understands everything I say, and he is still just as loving and expressive, he just uses different methods. You are right though, some people just don't know how much their comments hurt! I will pray for you and Lucas.
~*mandy*~
Oh, he is getting really big though! So cute!
megret7 said…
Don't listen to other people. Some people will always find something wrong with your child to make you think, well, something's wrong with your child. :) It's perfectly normal for Lucas to be cooing at night at that age (Gardner did), and it's also normal for him not to be sitting up yet (I think the average age is 6-7 mos, and G was right at 7 to the day). I find that once I stop worrying, I enjoy his developmental stages so much better. I am proud of you as a mom....you're a GREAT mom!!! You only want what's best for him, that that's awesome.
Love,
meg

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...