Skip to main content

Is it already mid-July??

I'm sitting at our kitchen table, scarfing down a wheat waffle with peanut butter, watching Lucas play with play-dough and trying to come up with an intersting blog post. As you know, my ideas for interesting posts have been wilting like the summer flowers during this dry month. Or better yet, wilting like my beloved basil plant, the one I so eagerly took care of for 2 weeks, than promptly forgot about for the next two, resulting in a dried up, shriveled-excuse for a plant. My intention is for this blog to not follow suit.

It's been a great summer. We spend most of our time at the local YMCA where I'm working on my coordination skills in classes like "cardio fusion" and "step 'n sculpt". I'm thankful the Lord gave me the ability to laugh at myself, because sometimes that's all I can do to get through a class. In all seriousness, we are so thankful for the YMCA. We have found a great community there of new friends and challenging experiences. The water-park has provided countless hours of entertainment for my babies and the opportunity for me to work on my tan.

Lucas had a blast spending a few days with his Grandma and Paw-Paul. I had fun cleaning my house and running errands with only one child who asked for snacks and whined when I took too long in the home department. It was a bittersweet time for me; I thoroughly enjoyed the quiet time, but each day was further acknowlegement that my baby is growing up.

I think that's been the theme of our summer - lots of fun, lots of housework, and a deep feeling in my soul that time is slipping by quickly and I desperately want to savor each moment. It's funny because I am a creature of habit, our days are filled with routine, but I also get bored easily and restless. I love change and hate it at the same time.

My precious Ava will be one year old in about 3 weeks.

That statement alone makes me want to wilt like that summer flower and cry like a baby. How can it be? She's supposed to stay little forever.

But her birthday also represents one year that our lives have been richer, more meaningful and more blessed because of her presence. It's going to be a bittersweet celebration.

I guess I'm growing up this summer. I thought this process had already taken place some time ago, but the truth is, I've been wrestling with it for quite a while now. As a teen I could never picture what my 20s would look like, but here I am, 27, with a husband, two kids and a mortgage. I have experienced more joy, love, and pain than I ever thought possible.

And I found my first white hair! Yikes!

I'm not sure where this blog is going and if anyone is still reading it after my proven lack of consistency, but I have a feeling my journey is going to take some more interesting twists and turns and I plan to keep writing along the way.

Comments

Molly Flanagan said…
i can so relate to your summer "theme". i too struggle with wanting to have my own fun while balance these "adult" responsibilities. and also being so aware of the magnitude of the important little things that seem to slip by w/o me noticing.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...