Nichole Nordeman, Brave
The gate is wide/ The road is paved in moderation/ The crowd is kind and quick to pull you in/ Welcome to the middle ground/ You're safe and sound and / Until now, it's where I've been // Cause it's been fear that ties me down to everything/ But it's been love, your love, that cuts the strings// So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ The way it always was/ Is no longer good enough/ You make me want to be brave/ Brave, brave// I am small/ And I speak when I'm spoken to/ But I am willing to risk it all/ I say your name/ Just your name and I'm ready to jump/ Even ready to fall....// Why did I take this vow of compromise?/ Why did I try to keep it all inside?// I've never known a fire that didn't begin with a flame/ Every storm will start with just a drop of rain/ But if you believe in me, that changes eveything//
I had lunch with a special friend of mine today, Paula. As we discussed the lessons of mommy-hood (she has 4 of her own), she shared with me some wisdom she has gained along the way. Paula told me how she has learned to move on from the past, anticipate the future, but live in today. Her past is full of trials, including surviving breast cancer, and her future full of the challenges of raising a special needs child, but Paula isn't thinking about those things. Instead, she is passionately living one day at a time. She challenged the habit I've fallen into of worrying about the details and living in fear. A theme in Paula's life is that bad stuff happens. That's the way life is. But don't live in fear of life. And don't go looking for the bad stuff.
The song above was written by Nichole Nordeman. She writes, "I wrote this song when I realized that the same old, status quo, ho-hum stuff of life that I'd settled for in the past wasn't going to be good enough anymore. Charlie (her newborn son) makes me feel brave... Jesus actually makes it so."
I think Paula is brave.
Lucas makes me feel brave.
So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ The way it always was/ Is no longer good enough/ You make me want to be brave/ Brave, brave....
The gate is wide/ The road is paved in moderation/ The crowd is kind and quick to pull you in/ Welcome to the middle ground/ You're safe and sound and / Until now, it's where I've been // Cause it's been fear that ties me down to everything/ But it's been love, your love, that cuts the strings// So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ The way it always was/ Is no longer good enough/ You make me want to be brave/ Brave, brave// I am small/ And I speak when I'm spoken to/ But I am willing to risk it all/ I say your name/ Just your name and I'm ready to jump/ Even ready to fall....// Why did I take this vow of compromise?/ Why did I try to keep it all inside?// I've never known a fire that didn't begin with a flame/ Every storm will start with just a drop of rain/ But if you believe in me, that changes eveything//
I had lunch with a special friend of mine today, Paula. As we discussed the lessons of mommy-hood (she has 4 of her own), she shared with me some wisdom she has gained along the way. Paula told me how she has learned to move on from the past, anticipate the future, but live in today. Her past is full of trials, including surviving breast cancer, and her future full of the challenges of raising a special needs child, but Paula isn't thinking about those things. Instead, she is passionately living one day at a time. She challenged the habit I've fallen into of worrying about the details and living in fear. A theme in Paula's life is that bad stuff happens. That's the way life is. But don't live in fear of life. And don't go looking for the bad stuff.
The song above was written by Nichole Nordeman. She writes, "I wrote this song when I realized that the same old, status quo, ho-hum stuff of life that I'd settled for in the past wasn't going to be good enough anymore. Charlie (her newborn son) makes me feel brave... Jesus actually makes it so."
I think Paula is brave.
Lucas makes me feel brave.
So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be brave/ The way it always was/ Is no longer good enough/ You make me want to be brave/ Brave, brave....
Comments