We arrived at the new Women's and Children's Hospital around 3:00 Friday morning. Excited and anxious, we walked thru the revolving doors pausing as a contraction raced through my body. A security guard, noticing my discomfort, asked if a wheel chair was needed. I knodded my response, eyes and mouth closed in anguish. Moments later, relaxed and settled into the chair, Matt wheeled me into the elevator. Having previously toured the new facility, Matt knew to push the button marked "2" as the doors closed. The second floor-- the maternity floor. To the right, women from all walks of life were lying in hosptial beds, moniters strapped to their giant bellys as they focus on getting through the next contraction that would bring them one step closer to meeting their children - to the left, a more relaxed environment where mommies and babies were beginning their new lives together. The doors opened and we turned right. We made a quick stop at the front desk where a nurse pulled up my information on the computer and placed an identification bracelet on my wrist. After stepping onto the scales (gulp), I was taken to a small room where I was told to put on a hosptial gown and wait for a nurse. Matt and I were surprisingly alert and bright eyed considering the time of day. We knew what was about to take place. You see, we had already been to the hosptial that week on our due date actually, after a nurse at the OB's office sent me in for monitering due to severe lower back pain. Obviously, I had been sent home.
Matt and I held our breaths and wondered if this was really "it". We had been timing contractions since 9:00 Thursday evening after a long walk around the neighborhood. I was quite determined to go into labor -- I even had spent the afternoon walking around Target with hopes of spurring things along. You see, we had been discussing with our OB the probability of inducing labor and just earlier that day, I told Matt that if I woke up one more day still pregnant, I would be ready to induce. Well it appeared that we wouldn't have to make that decision, as the contractions began to get closer together throughout the evening. We finally turned out the lights at 12:45 am and I dozed for about 20 minutes until the pain woke me up. After timing 4 contractions, all six minutes apart I got out of bed. That's when I realized that we wouldn't be getting any sleep that night. My water had broken.
Matt and I held our breaths and wondered if this was really "it". We had been timing contractions since 9:00 Thursday evening after a long walk around the neighborhood. I was quite determined to go into labor -- I even had spent the afternoon walking around Target with hopes of spurring things along. You see, we had been discussing with our OB the probability of inducing labor and just earlier that day, I told Matt that if I woke up one more day still pregnant, I would be ready to induce. Well it appeared that we wouldn't have to make that decision, as the contractions began to get closer together throughout the evening. We finally turned out the lights at 12:45 am and I dozed for about 20 minutes until the pain woke me up. After timing 4 contractions, all six minutes apart I got out of bed. That's when I realized that we wouldn't be getting any sleep that night. My water had broken.
Comments