Skip to main content

The News - from Sara's point of View

So, Thursday was the big day. I met Matt at the doctor's office Thursday morning. I actually hadn't been feeling well for a couple days, so it was the perfect time to see the doctor. Before I go into the details of the appointment, I must share my embarassing moment. When I first checked in, I asked the receptionist if I needed to have a full bladder for the ultrasound or if I could go to the bathroom. She didn't know, but said she would get back to me. The waiting room was full and we sat down across the room. About 10 minutes later, the receptionist leans her head out and says, "Mrs. Alexander, it's okay. You can go ahead and go." I must have looked puzzled, because she then said, "You can go ahead and go to the bathroom." People actually chuckled. I was so embarassed. But I did what any pregnant woman with a baby sitting on her bladder would do, I got up with as much dignity as I could muster and went to the bathroom.

When we finally were called back, we went straight to the ultrasound room. The friendly nurse applied a jelly-like substance to my belly and the fun began. Right away we realized that the baby was asleep. Apparently the caffiene-loaded Coke and candy I had just consumed had not yet reached our little one. She began taking measurements of the head, back, legs, and other various parts. The baby's heart was beating at 152 beats a minute, a rate which the nurse said was "perfect". All four chambers of the heart checked out and everything was looking great. The only glitch was that our baby was acting rather shy. Curled up on the belly, with legs stretched to the ears (yes, I do believe that we have a gymnist on our hands) we couldn't see anything. And so began the rather amusing attempt on the parts of Matt and the nurse to wake up our baby. They poked and prodded, I even turned to lay on my left and right sides. After much nudging and wiggling, our precious miracle woke up! I don't know if there are any words to describe to feelings I had when I witnessed our baby moving inside of me. Not just feeling it, but seeing it. Wow.

After a few more prods, the nurse suddenly said, "There it is." "There what is?" we asked. " 'It' means that you have a little boy". Yes world, we are proud to announce that our first born child is going to be a little boy! Matt and I are estatic. As we tried to absorb the news, the nurse let us watch our little guy stretch and kick his legs in respose to each move of the ultrasound. He even began to suck his thumb! (Later on, upon hearing this part of the story, my mom said, "Oh he must be your child Sara" alluding to the embarassing fact that I used to suck my fingers until I was 7.) We saw Dr. Duniho about 20 minutes later and he greeted us with a big hug and handsake. We are so proud.

We thank God for our precious little boy.

Sara

Comments