Skip to main content

Just thinking

So last night got me thinking; how would we manage if our lives were put on display for millions of people to watch? Could we handle the pressures of fame? I understand the mindset behind having your family on reality t.v - document your child's life and give your children opportunities they would have never had in their "ordinary" life. But is the money worth it? Where do you draw the line and say that you've had enough. How do you separate your t.v. life from your real life?

As our world becomes more and more connected, I think we will only see an increase in families who are willing to take on the risks of public exposure in their pursuit for fame and money. There are many who's motives are innocent and good, but sadly we live in a world that only takes advantage of the innocence and goodness. Why do people have to give up their privacy for the price of fame? Why are we so desperate to know what a movie star bought at the grocery store or wore to the gym? Why do our own lives feel so empty that we need to live vicariously through someone "more special" than ourselves?

For the sake of integrity at this point I must disclose the fact that I love to read People magazine whenever I'm at Books a Million. I haven't looked too deeply into my motives behind this behavior and frankly I don't think I ever will. A cup of coffee, enjoyed with a piece of Lindt truffles and People magazine equal one happy, relaxed Mama.

Matt and I were joking around last night about what our reality t.v. would be called : "Matt and Sara plus two kids and a dog." Nah, that's too ordinary. How about "How to keep your baby out of the dog food: a look into the typical American Family" Now that would make me want to watch for at least one episode.

These are the thoughts that are swirling in my mind this morning as I'm unloading the dishwasher, scrambling some eggs and trying desperately to keep Miss A out of the dog food.

What's on your mind this morning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...