Skip to main content

Where Shopping is a Pleasure...

Isn't it funny that no matter how hard we plan, or how prepared we are, things don't always turn out like you think when it comes to life with a toddler. Our trip to Publix yesterday was a great example of that truth! I spent over an hour Sunday night working on my grocery list. I haven't been this inspired since last fall before I was pregnant. I perused Food Network's site for new recipes and laid out my list in categories according to the aisles in the store! Right before bed, I even set out my coupon book, list, and packed snacks/toys in my purse ready to entertain Lucas.

Everything was perfect and I was feeling pretty good about myself. Skip ahead to the next day.

We get out of the house around 10:30. Lucas had been pretty happy all morning, except for a brief spout of tears as he begged to go to work with Daddy. As we're settling in and enjoying a snack (all pregnant women understand the importance of snacks - especially when morning sickness is still lingering), I tell Lucas about our plans for the morning - the bank, the alterations store, getting gas and finally to Publix. When we finally got to the store, we're both in great moods. Lucas is sitting in the top of the "car" grocery cart, pretending to drive and trying desperately to be patient until we make it to the bakery for a free cookie. About 15 minutes into our endeavor, all hell breaks loose. Tears, thrashing about, flailing arms, and loud screams surrond me. I look around, surely this isn't my perfect little angel? Someone must of switched kids with me while I was distracted by the jarred gravy - sounds gross I know, but Southern Living recommended it. I quickly pull out my first attempt at peace - a red truck. Ahh, quiet once again. We start heading up the cereal aisle, when it happens again. This time, I'm not so nice, but instead offer quiet suggestions in my serious "Mommy tone" of what will happen if this behavior doesn't stop. The cycle continues, as we move up and down the store. I am determined to get every item on my list and no amount of stares from strangers is going to stop me. It's by the frozen waffles that I decided to make a detour to the bathrooms for a spanking. I've never done that in a grocery store, but desperate times call for desperate measures. We finally finished up in the produce section and I am exhausted. The trip home was quiet (thank you, Jesus) and I send Lucas to his room to "think about what he has done" while I unload the mountain of food from my car.

I still can't understand what exactly went wrong. I guess no amount of planning to prevent a melt down of epic proportion. All I do know is that I understand why God invented naptimes. Surely, no Mommy could stay sane without them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...