Skip to main content

Feeling inspired, sort of

As you know, I have been working on turning our house into a home by placing photos on the walls. For some reason that I haven't explored too deeply, this process is really difficult for me. I fear making the wrong choice and hating it after the nails are in the wall. I also want to add color to our neutral palate with window treatments and pillows, but this task too is rather daunting.

So instead of retreating to a little hole and eating a snack, I'm facing my issues head on and doing some exercises in preparation for home decorating. I'm reading Home Rules by Nate Berkus, the amazingly, talented decorator loved by Oprah.

Here is a little quiz I did from the book to help me get pointed in the right direction:

1. what kind of surroundings make you happy? organized, peacefully, warm, lots of natural light

2. Do you respond to neat and organized or lots of accessories? neat and organized

3. Which is your favorite room in your house? Least favorite? sadly, i don't have a favorite. our bedroom is my least favorite - it gets almost no natural light.

4. Where do you feel most at home? Are you city sleek or country casual? neither extreme works for me; i like modern, with a touch of classic style and some nature thrown in.

5. How much time, energy, and money are you will to spend right now? I can work during naptime (2-4 hours a day), energy depends on the kids and our day, and money is non-existent. There is no decorating envelope.

6. If you could change one thing about your home today, what would it be? The clutter and lack of organization. It causes me lots of anxiety. And I wish we had more windows!

7. Do you have a favorite piece of furniture or art or collectible object that could be a starting point? i love an old mirror we had hanging in our bedroom at Westwind. to me, it's simply elegant.

8. Where would you take a dream vacation? the Amalfi Coast, Italy

9. Which people inspire you? How do they live? ???? looks like I need to do some research

10. Do your decorating dreams correspond to the way you actually live? I think so. I like simple elegance, but I know it must be durable, hide stains, and be cost effective.

It is great to get my thoughts down on paper and get an idea of what I like. That is the hardest part for me - figuring out what I like. Oh, I can see something and I know that I don't like it, but putting my taste into words in nearly impossible for me.

Is there a therapist out there who specializes in decorating phobia??

Comments

Vanessa said…
When you find a therapist that deals with decorating phobia, let me know, I'll have to join your session! You describe exactly how I feel about decorating - it's terrifying! My brother completely decorated our house in Anderson for us and I loved it, sadly he isn't visiting us here anytime soon. I've decided to just grab the bull by the horns and go to it - it's been scary and very slow but I must say my house is looking better and feeling more like home. You can do it Sara! And, I am looking forward to seeing pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...