I'm having trouble sleeping again. Okay, let me rephrase that. My waking up multiple times throughout the night routine is becoming an annoyance again. I've always been big on sleep. In fact, my Mom loves to tell stories about my need for sleep as a newborn that landed me in a hospital in Atlanta because I never wanted to wake up and eat. (Too bad I don't have that problem now - not the hospital part, but the I'm not interested in eating part!) In high school, I was the typical teen who stayed up late every Friday night and slept until 11:00 on Saturday. College was the era of naps (typically after class, not during, unless it was an 8 am class). I got lucky when it came to Lucas's sleeping habits. Apparently sleeping genes can be passed down because Lucas has been a champion sleeper since about 4 weeks old. I think my favorite catching up on sleep season was around 12 weeks old when L started sleeping 12-15 hours straight every night. I would get up around 7 in the morning to use the breast pump, stumble back to bed, then sleep until 10 when a specific part of my body would wake me up again. Ahh, those were the days! Lucas still averages 10-12 hours a night plus a 2 hour nap, so my sleep life should be pretty good. I say should be because pregnancy has a way of making what was once normal into what in the heck is going on here? (i.e. the map of stretch marks on my once smooth belly or the way my fingers have swollen to sausage like proportions.) I'll be honest and say that for the first time in our almost 5 years of marriage, Matt has spent many nights in the guest bedroom in hopes of alleviating my insomnia. I'm a "high maintenance" sleeper which means any type of snoring/heavy breathing can keep me awake for hours! It hasn't been pretty.
Many of you may be starting your day right now (it's 6:30 Monday a.m.), but our house is still dark and quiet, so I'm going to go lay in bed and hope that baby girl and I can settle in for at least another hour before the craziness of our life begins.
Many of you may be starting your day right now (it's 6:30 Monday a.m.), but our house is still dark and quiet, so I'm going to go lay in bed and hope that baby girl and I can settle in for at least another hour before the craziness of our life begins.
Comments