So, the technical term for the past 11 days is "Nursing Strike". Matt looked it up online. In fact, he was the one who typed into the search bar on Google, "my baby screams when I nurse him". His ingenious search came up with some answers and tips to handle our situation. Lucas has been crying during just about every feeding for the past 11 days. He screams, arches his back, and carries on like he is in pain. We have taken him to the doctor, called the doctor, and sought advice from friends more wise than us. This morning, we can to the official conclusion that Lucas has somehow associated the pain of teething with breastfeeding and that is why he is having such a hard time. He doesn't have an ear infection or cold. He doesn't have reflux, and he will take a bottle without any tears. My emotions have been up and down all week. For each minute of eating another 3 minutes of tears transpire. For a breastfeeding mom, I have felt somewhat rejected. Thanks to my sweet husband, however, I now realize that this is just one of many "issues" to come that we have to adapt to and work through. Lucas' sunny disposition still shines through when he isn't eating. Many folks have asked me if I am going to quit breastfeeding now, but this episode has only strengthened my resolve to breastfeed until he is a year. We were successful for 7.5 months, so I see no reason why with lots of love and patience we can't continue for a couple months more.
Please pray for us as we are working through this challenge. And pray that a tooth will show up soon so our sweet Lucas won't be hurting any more.
By the way, Lucas tried Lima Beans today. And just like his Mama, he didn't like them. However, since I ate my bowl of lima beans, Lucas is going to try them again tomorrow. Maybe his Daddy can convince him to stop spitting them out.
Please pray for us as we are working through this challenge. And pray that a tooth will show up soon so our sweet Lucas won't be hurting any more.
By the way, Lucas tried Lima Beans today. And just like his Mama, he didn't like them. However, since I ate my bowl of lima beans, Lucas is going to try them again tomorrow. Maybe his Daddy can convince him to stop spitting them out.
Comments