That's what I've been saying to Lucas for the past couple days. This whole job idea fits in with the concept I've been teaching Lucas for the past year; that Mommy has a job - tasks that must be completed every day that don't include race cars or playdough. I think it's important for Lucas to respect my "job" as a stay at home mom and to foster independence in him to play by himself.

Good stuff, I think! As a result of my passion for our son to respect SAHMs and to teach him responsibility, I've come up with a weekly chore chart! As you can see, the tasks are pretty simple, but important. Taking care of the dog teaches ownership and responsibility and takes a load off of me! That is one less mouth I have to worry about feeding!
Getting dressed should be routine, but the little green monster called jealousy has a way of rearing it's ugly head that results in a little boy who wants to lay on his bed and be dressed because "that's how Ava does it".
I am most excited about the habit of daily cleaning the playroom. This room is one I often like to pretend doesn't exist because it can feel really overwhelming with all those toys. I am slowly chipping away at an organizing system for the millions of tiny toys that young boys love to play with; a system that is easy for the kids to use and clean up! So far (it's only day two) I am thrilled at the attention to detail Lucas is displaying in this area. This kid doesn't miss anything when it comes to cleaning up , and I just love that about him!
Several friends have offered suggestions for more tasks to add to the list, but for now, I'm sticking with these four. We are still figuring out a reward system; I know there has to be a token given everyday to keep him interested, but I don't want to hand him a Hershey kiss every afternoon.
How do you motivate your kids to help around the house?
Good stuff, I think! As a result of my passion for our son to respect SAHMs and to teach him responsibility, I've come up with a weekly chore chart! As you can see, the tasks are pretty simple, but important. Taking care of the dog teaches ownership and responsibility and takes a load off of me! That is one less mouth I have to worry about feeding!
Getting dressed should be routine, but the little green monster called jealousy has a way of rearing it's ugly head that results in a little boy who wants to lay on his bed and be dressed because "that's how Ava does it".
I am most excited about the habit of daily cleaning the playroom. This room is one I often like to pretend doesn't exist because it can feel really overwhelming with all those toys. I am slowly chipping away at an organizing system for the millions of tiny toys that young boys love to play with; a system that is easy for the kids to use and clean up! So far (it's only day two) I am thrilled at the attention to detail Lucas is displaying in this area. This kid doesn't miss anything when it comes to cleaning up , and I just love that about him!
Several friends have offered suggestions for more tasks to add to the list, but for now, I'm sticking with these four. We are still figuring out a reward system; I know there has to be a token given everyday to keep him interested, but I don't want to hand him a Hershey kiss every afternoon.
How do you motivate your kids to help around the house?
Comments