I've just gotten back from a "quick" trip to Wal-mart. I think I spent more time in traffic simply trying to get there, then I did in the actual store! Wow, everyone seems to be caught up in the hustle and bustle of gift buying. I myself have numerous gifts still left to purchase. I've stopped beating myself up for putting it off and have accepted the reality of last minute shopping. My Mom and I spent yesterday traipsing through Old Navy and other stores searching for gifts for my sisters and their hubbies. Lucas has been a trooper through it all. He smiled all the way through Wal-mart, totally oblivious to the frenzied activity whirling around him. Thanfully he was alseep when the driver behind me began yelling and making inappropriote gestures due to the 20 mintue wait to make left turn.
One of the things I've learned as a new mom is that sometimes I have to let things go. I start each day with my to-do list and between keeping the house in order and breastfeeding, half of it doesn't get done. But someone recently told me something that really struck me. There will always be laundry to do and dishes to clean, but I won't always have time with my little boy and precious husband. The laundry can wait until tomorrow and so can the dishes. In fact, if I don't get to them tomorrow, that's okay too. What's important is that I'm investing my life in the people around me and pouring my love into them. The rest of the stuff will get done, evaetually. I think I'll take that same mindset and apply it to Christmas. Yes, presents will be bought and holiday treats will be made, but not at the expense of quality time with my family. I'm setting realistic expectations so that I can enjoy this special season.
One of the things I've learned as a new mom is that sometimes I have to let things go. I start each day with my to-do list and between keeping the house in order and breastfeeding, half of it doesn't get done. But someone recently told me something that really struck me. There will always be laundry to do and dishes to clean, but I won't always have time with my little boy and precious husband. The laundry can wait until tomorrow and so can the dishes. In fact, if I don't get to them tomorrow, that's okay too. What's important is that I'm investing my life in the people around me and pouring my love into them. The rest of the stuff will get done, evaetually. I think I'll take that same mindset and apply it to Christmas. Yes, presents will be bought and holiday treats will be made, but not at the expense of quality time with my family. I'm setting realistic expectations so that I can enjoy this special season.
Comments