Skip to main content

Just thinking.....

I was just reading Matthew chapter 10, and towards the end of the chapter I saw some verses that I wanted to share with you. "Accepting someone's help is as good as giving someone help. This is a large work I've called you into, but don't be overwhelmed by it. It's best to start small. Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won't lose out on a thing."

When we left for Orlando on Tuesday, we first had to stop at the gas station near the interstate. I was asleep in the front seat, exhausted after waking up an hour early and packing all morning. Matt had just finished checking the air in our tires when a woman approached our car and knocked on the window. She pointed to her car parked nearby and explained that it had broken down while traveling from New York. She asked if we had any money for food. I quickly tried to think of what to say, when I realized that we had a box full of food in the backseat. I climbed over the seat and found some bananas and granola bars. I could tell she was disappointed that we didn't give her any money. But she thanked us and we left.

I've thought about that girl a lot since we encountered her. She was probably on drugs, based upon her apperance, and she probably (hopefully not) threw out the food we gave her. However, I felt a small since of satisfaction being able to meet her hunger need. Too often, when I am approached by strangers asking for money, I fumble around not knowing how I should respond and if I should give them anything or not. Part of me is distrusting while another side feels compassion for a person who is desperate enough to beg. A woman approached me in the Ingles parking lot a few weeks ago asking for enough money to buy a biscuit. I asked a couple questions and quickly realized that she was a woman going through a really tough time.

Since I've been reading Matthew, I seen so many people in desperate need approach Jesus and beg Him for something. He gave to them so freely His wisdom, compassion, and healing touch. I can only pray for His discernment when I am approached by people in need. It is so easy for me to react to a situation instead of thinking it through. I've been praying today that God will change my perspective to help me see people as He does. Not just with this, but in all of my relationships. Especially when I find myself stuck in a motel room in Orlando with an 18 month old as my only company. And his new favorite word is "No!".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...