I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately. Several times a week, I will be inspired by a dish on Food Network and will attempt to recreate it in my home. Last night, Matt and I tried Fried Zucchini Sticks from Everyday Italian. I also have been hounding the folks at the local library, searching for the newest cookbooks by my favorite chefs. Yesterday, I picked up two cookbooks by my personal favorite cook, Ms. Paula Deen. Paula, as I like to call her, inspires me with her classic-ly southern food and charm. The intro to her book Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics contains a quote that I just have to share with you.
"You have to understand," she says, "Southern cooking comes from within. We show our love for someone through the kitchen, through food. We bake a pie or a cake as a welcoming gift or as a show of support in tough times. Southern cooking is comfort food. It's flavorful and filling, and it makes you feel good."
Amen.
"I've never heard anybody say, 'Gee, golly, I can't wait to get up to New York so I can have some of that good Yankee food.' "
Well said Paula.
"You have to understand," she says, "Southern cooking comes from within. We show our love for someone through the kitchen, through food. We bake a pie or a cake as a welcoming gift or as a show of support in tough times. Southern cooking is comfort food. It's flavorful and filling, and it makes you feel good."
Amen.
"I've never heard anybody say, 'Gee, golly, I can't wait to get up to New York so I can have some of that good Yankee food.' "
Well said Paula.
Comments
»