Happy Birthday Lucas! Today you are 1 week old!
This past week has brought so many changes in our lives. I've been riding a rollar coaster of emotions typical of a new mom, and Matt has been my rock. We've been running a tight schedule with Lucas, feeding every 2-3 hours during the day and initially every 3-4 at night. On Tuesday, we took Lucas for his first trip to visit the Pediatrician. Dr. Treash had warned us that Lucas would continue to lose his birth weight (he dropped from 8 pounds to 7 pounds 9 ounces in the hospital) during the first two weeks. However, all three of us were overjoyed when Lucas weighed in at 7 pounds 10.5 ounces, gaining 1.5 oz in two days! A quick check found that Lucas has no jaundice and his heart sounds perfect. Because Lucas was doing so well, we were given the green light to let Lucas start sleeping through the night without waking him for feedings. And so explains the success of last night! Thank you Dr. Treash for your sound advice!
Everyday, we are enthralled with new expressions and sounds Lucas makes. He is our joy, our heart. I am truly stunned with the amount of love I feel for him. This week has taught me so much about God's love for me and my desperate need for Him. Just as Lucas depends on us for everything, I am humbly aware of my utter dependancy on the Lord. I have to take a moment to praise Matt for adapting to fatherhood so beautifully. Matt has been by my side for almost every feeding, diaper change, and snuggle time. I told him just the other day that I don't feel like I am the sole one feeding our son (I'm nursing) -- I feel that we are feeding him together. Matt gets him up, changes his diaper, gives Lucas to me, than sits patiently for the 30-40 minutes he eats, burps him and changes his diaper again. Now that is a commited father!
In the next couple days, look for my birth story to appear. I am slowly preparing my thoughts, trying to process the events of that day so I can put it into words for others to experience. I hope that you enjoy it.
Today Matt and I are going to experience our first day with Lucas alone. My precious Momma has been staying with us since his birth. She has been one of the greatest blessing of this week, allowing me to focus on my child and not on the routine of life. We will miss her so much! Thanks Momma for showing us so much love! We love you!
love,
Sara
Comments