Yesterday was a very exciting day in the Alexander household. Matt and I went to see Dr. Dunhio for my 34 week check up. Matt, as usual, decided to have to some fun during our extra long wait to see the doctor. Feeling rather cranky and hungry, I appreciated any and all distractions. I couldn't help but giggle when Matt had me lie back on the table so he could search for the baby's heartbeat using the doctor's Dopler. I made some effort to stop him, fearing Dr. Duniho would walk in during Matt's "check up", but I couldn't help but feel gleeful when Matt was successful. I was kidding him about becoming a doctor, when the "real" doctor walked in. Matt, rather confidently, informed Tim that the heartbeat could be heard best in a different location then where he was checking. And he was right! :)
Our appointment took on a more serious tone when I started complaining about all of the pain I had been in lately. In fact, I had left work early Tuesday to go home and sleep. Dr. Duniho decided to do an exam and found that our little man has worked his way into "position" ready to be born. I followed Dr. Duniho back to his office rather wide eyed in aniticipation of what he was about to tell me. I sat down on the couch, wishing that Matt hadn't left already to go to work. While our little man is "ready to go", he said, my body has not yet started changing in preparation for labor. (Good!) However, Tim was/is concerned that things will being to change soon due to the amount and intensity of contractions I've been feeling. He then put me on Procardia, a blood pressure medicine that should relax the muscles of my uterus and hopefully delay premature birth. He then said, "If we can make it to 37 weeks, which is considered term, then everything should be great." I just sat there numb. "If?" Before my mind could slow down enough to comprehend what he was telling me, the doctor, then reassured me that if I had the baby now, his chances of surviving and thriving are extremely high, so I do not need to be worried.
Not be worried? Are you kidding me? All I could think of was, "the crib won't be in until next week!" and "I still haven't decided on bedding!" and "Oh my gosh, have you seen the chaos in my house!" and "Matt is going to freak out!" Whew! My heart and mind have not stopped racing. I'm excited and nervous, concerned and eager. Granted, I do keep reminding myself that no one really knows when a baby is going to be born (not including induction or planned c-section, of course) and that our little man still may hold out for the next 5 1/2 weeks...... But he might not!
And so, I am asking for your prayers. Pray for me to calm down! Pray that we will get our act together so that everything will come together quickly. But most importantly, pray that our little man won't make an apprearance until he is fully developed and ready!
love,
Sara
Our appointment took on a more serious tone when I started complaining about all of the pain I had been in lately. In fact, I had left work early Tuesday to go home and sleep. Dr. Duniho decided to do an exam and found that our little man has worked his way into "position" ready to be born. I followed Dr. Duniho back to his office rather wide eyed in aniticipation of what he was about to tell me. I sat down on the couch, wishing that Matt hadn't left already to go to work. While our little man is "ready to go", he said, my body has not yet started changing in preparation for labor. (Good!) However, Tim was/is concerned that things will being to change soon due to the amount and intensity of contractions I've been feeling. He then put me on Procardia, a blood pressure medicine that should relax the muscles of my uterus and hopefully delay premature birth. He then said, "If we can make it to 37 weeks, which is considered term, then everything should be great." I just sat there numb. "If?" Before my mind could slow down enough to comprehend what he was telling me, the doctor, then reassured me that if I had the baby now, his chances of surviving and thriving are extremely high, so I do not need to be worried.
Not be worried? Are you kidding me? All I could think of was, "the crib won't be in until next week!" and "I still haven't decided on bedding!" and "Oh my gosh, have you seen the chaos in my house!" and "Matt is going to freak out!" Whew! My heart and mind have not stopped racing. I'm excited and nervous, concerned and eager. Granted, I do keep reminding myself that no one really knows when a baby is going to be born (not including induction or planned c-section, of course) and that our little man still may hold out for the next 5 1/2 weeks...... But he might not!
And so, I am asking for your prayers. Pray for me to calm down! Pray that we will get our act together so that everything will come together quickly. But most importantly, pray that our little man won't make an apprearance until he is fully developed and ready!
love,
Sara
Comments