Skip to main content

Learning


Remember a while back ago when I was so excited about the new chore chart I was trying out with the Lucas? Well, the excitement wore off pretty quickly for the both of us. Lucas was not motivated by the stickers or rewards and I felt like the chart took away from my passion to teach my children biblical principles. The chart was forgotten by the both of us during the second week and I finally tossed it out this week.

Amazingly, Lucas is still and even more willing to help around the house. This morning I asked him to water the dog before we left for school,which he did without a question or complaint. Here's what I realized this morning; I feel pretty passionate about the idea of modeling and teaching the concept of biblical servanthood. I want our children to understand what it means to help and serve the people around them without personal gain. I want this to come naturally for them one day, so that means, I need to invest my time and energy in them today.

Lucas and I had three years of Mommy and me time. Since Ava has come along, she's learned to go with the flow and jump right into the action. However, now that Lucas is in preschool 5 mornings a week, Ava and I are finding that special together time that we both crave. Some mornings, we run errands together. Other days, a little friend comes over for me to watch and Ava to play with. And other days, like today when it's too yucky to run to the grocery store, Ava follows me around the house, watching me serve our family by making beds, doing laundry and cleaning.

And she loves to help. Whether it's putting the dirty clothes into the laundry basket (and then sometimes taking a ride on that same basket) or pulling the clean clothes out of the dryer, Ava is always beside me, eager to partcipate. I know this behavior is a part of her development stage, but I also believe that she is finding joy in being Mommy's helper. Lucas used to do the same thing at this age.

Ava especially loves her job of unloading the clean silverware from the dishwasher. I quickly remove the knives before eager hands get cut, then she gets started, eager and determined to help.

We also teach this concept of serving by expecting Lucas to pick up his dirty clothes and put them in his laundry basket, taking his dirty dishes to the sink after a meal and saying thank you, and putting his toys away after playing with them. All of these actions communicate respect and a grateful heart, which Lucas and I talk about a lot. Of course, we still have to prompt him most of the time, but I can see the habits forming.

In a culture that is so "me" focused, let's put in the effort to remind our children that life really isn't all about them. Children are such an important part of a family, but they share in the responsibility of that family. What a difference it would make if all children learned that respect for others is way more important than esteeming themselves.

"Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
Mark 9:34-36

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

Guess what? I'm taking steps today to get just a little closer to my dream. We're off to the gym in a little bit to keep working towards losing those 38 pounds. I'm also working on a plan to sell specialty homemade cheesecakes during the holidays. Doing something I love and making some extra money for the people I love. Pretty great stuff!

Special K

I have developed a rather fond relationship with Kellogg's Special K Vanilla Almond. Low in fat (only 1.5 g) and made with whole grains, I eat this tasty treat as a meal and a snack. I'm eating some right now. Special thanks to Kat for introducing me to this delightful cereal. Our local Ingles has been running it on sale this past week, 2 for $4, so I stocked up. The milk is even on sale too, 2 for $5, making this treat yummy and affordable. Sweet, crispy flakes and crunchy almonds. What more could a girl ask for. By the way, you should go to Ingles. Everything is on sale. I picked up some lean ground beef today for $1.38 per pound. Now that's good for the budget. Low prices + good food = happy housewife

Let's go shopping at Aldi's!

If you're shopping at Aldi's this week, I recommend that you stock up on Eggs and Milk! Seriously, a dozen eggs for $1.09 and Milk for $2.19! The price of beef may have gone up, but I'm loving the other staples we get from a cow! I bought 4 dozen eggs this week. Overkill for sure, but when our family eats eggs, we usually eat 7 in one setting! Eggs and toast are a staple breakfast in our house - we eat that at least 4 times a week! It's fast and filling and cheap! If you're looking for something more exciting to do with your eggs, try making a breakfast casserole! I love this casserole from Ree, the Pioneer Woman. Everything she makes is delightful, but this recipe is especially great! As with most recipes, I tweaked it a bit to fit our tastes. For all of his perfect aspects, my handsome husband does not eat mushrooms. This could have been a deal breaker for me 13 years ago, but then I saw his drummer toned legs and I decided to look past his misjudgment! No ...