Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Paul

I've been reading in the book of Acts for a while now, going thru a reading plan with our children's ministry volunteers. I've never been much for reading plans, because I don't like being told what to do, but this time, I submitted. As I'm slowly making my way through the book (we're also reading Proverbs), the main point I keep focusing on is how specifically God spoke to Paul and directed his life. Paul lived what I think modern-day believers would call "a spirit-led life".

For quite some time now, I've prayed "Lord, I want to live a Spirit-led life. I want you to direct my plans, my conversations, my actions, my heart." And to some extent, I've seen Him answer that prayer in my life. But today, Jesus spoke to me while I was reading Acts 18, and the truth just sort of set me free and changed my prayer.  Here's the gist of it:

"Sara - I AM leading your life. My Spirit lives inside of you. I lead you and speak to you ALL OF THE TIME. You just have to listen to Me. Stop asking me to speak to you - I already am doing that!"  

Oh snap. That's some truth that I need to hear this morning. Jesus does speak to us all the time. He directs our lives. He brings people into my life every day whom He wants me to speak to, encourage and love on. He has equipped me to serve Him, and He promises to be with me wherever I go. That's the truth.

So now I understand why I keep reading about Paul's travel plans. Paul did everything that Jesus asked him to do. He didn't try to rationalize it away or justify why he should get his own way. His heart was in a position, a posture, to simply obey.

"Give me faith to Trust what You say....."













1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Such a great reminder, thanks!